How To Avoid A Holiday Fire

Christmas Fire Safety Tips – How To Avoid A Holiday Fire

Christmas is a time of joy and enjoying family. It is also the time of year that some families can experience the greatest tragedies if they are not careful. Unfortunately, December is a peak period for house fires. With the cold temperatures, and everyone staying indoors to keep warm, this can lead to a higher potential for fires in the home. To help you get ready for the holiday season and protect you and your family from fires, here are some fire safety tips from American Total Protection.

MAIN CAUSES OF CHRISTMAS FIRES

Candles
Call (844) 287-3473 to learn how to avoid a holiday fire. ATP's Christmas Fire Safety Tips will help keep your family safe over the holidays.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are two of three peak days for candle fires. And one of the prime reasons is unattended open flames and candles being left too close to flammable materials. Placing open flames near decorations is never a good idea. And using candles as decorations in bedrooms and living rooms and leaving them unattended can lead to loss of life and destruction of property.

Christmas Tree Fires
A dry Christmas tree, electrical lights and a ready fuel supply of multiple gifts under the tree is a dangerous combination that can lead to a fire. Also, placing the tree too close to candles, fireplaces and wooden stoves is a fire hazard. Ensure that your tree is fresh and that it is continuously watered. Turn off decorative lights when not in use. And, as soon as the season is over dispose of the tree and ensure all dried pine needles have been removed from the home.

Heating Equipment Fires
The NFPA has stated that December is one of three peak months for fires caused by heating apparatus. Heaters are the second leading cause of house fires in the December to February period. Space heaters are number one followed by the fireplace/chimney. One of the primary reasons was the failure to clean the heating equipment, especially chimneys where soot hardens into creosote leading to a fire hazard. The other major reason was placing things that can easily burn close to space heaters.

Cooking
Christmas, like Thanksgiving, is a time for large family meals. Overall, cooking equipment is a foremost cause of fire deaths in the USA. Frying and leaving items on the stove or in the oven unattended can cause fires. If a grease fire does start, do not throw water on it. Use baking soda or cover the pot with a lid. If it is in the oven, turn off the oven and leave the door closed until the fire is smothered.

CHRISTMAS FIRE PREVENTION MEASURES
We recommend that you clean and check your fireplaces and heating equipment before winter season starts. If you will be using a space heater, put it on a level surface at least 3 feet away from anything that is flammable. This includes papers, draperies, rugs and furniture. Do not place these items too close to your fireplace, furnace, or wood stove either.

Do not overload the sockets especially those to which the lights for your Christmas tree are plugged in. It may overload and cause an electrical fire. Or the decorative lights malfunction and your tree catches on fire.

THE RIGHT FIRE FIGHTING SOLUTIONS
Having a smoke detector and fire alarm system installed can be the difference between life and death. A monitored fire alarm system will keep your house monitored 24/7 and give you extra peace of mind that you are not the only one watching out for your home.

ATP Fire can get you Christmas ready with fire protection solutions. Smoke detectors and monitored fire alarms are sensible options for a family that wishes to protect life and property. Contact us today for a free fire safety consultation. – (844) 287-3473

Contact us today for a free fire safety consultation. - (844) 287-3473