Water Heater Gas Leaks are Deadly.
When was the last time you checked your gas lines?
Today, Americans, friends and family members are mourning the loss of an Iowa family that died in Mexico from an apparent gas leak. At the time of writing, the details on the type of toxic gas is not yet known. But this story reminds us that we need to routinely have a professional check our gas lines and the importance of our carbon monoxide detectors.
Deadly gases and gas leaks
The fact that the family seemingly didn’t smell the gas, is a harsh reminder of the nature of carbon monoxide. Carbon Monoxide (CO2) is an odorless and deadly gas. It is also combustible. So, it has the potential to start a fire. And of course, it is highly toxic and can suffocate you. Because it is an odorless gas, you need a CO2 detector to sound an alarm when CO2 is detected.
Natural gas on the other hand intentionally carries a foul odor which helps people notice that there is a leak. So, while most CO2 detectors will not pick up the presence of natural gas, you will know because you can smell it.
Install a CO2 monitor for your safety and protection
Gas leaks can lead to CO2 build up in your home. Without notification that CO2 is present, you may go to sleep and never wake up as it happens for most people who die from CO2 poisoning.
Therefore, you need to ensure that you have CO2 monitors installed appropriately throughout your home. If they are installed too high, they may not detect the gas in time. In addition to making sure that your detectors are appropriately placed, you should have enough monitors throughout your home. You should also routinely check the batteries.
This small device has the potential to save lives, and it has.
For more information and help on installing carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home, contact ATP Alarms. ATP Alarms is your local home safety solutions provider. Our job is to help you protect those who matter most. We are happy to assist you in getting the right detectors to protect you and your family.