Home Security Planning for the Thanksgiving Weekend
Thanksgiving is a time for family. So, you will be expecting your family to visit or you’re going to visit your family or friends.
But, like most holiday seasons, it’s also a time when crime rates spike. That’s because, between Thanksgiving and New Year’s, there’s an increase in crimes. Robbers anticipate more gifts and items in the homes. Or they know people aren’t at home.
So, how do you limit the possibility that you’ll be the next victim?
Your home security.
Here are a few quick tips to help you get ready for Thanksgiving and secure life and property.
These tips work whether you’re spending Thanksgiving away from home or family and friends are coming to stay with you.
A quality home security system
At the top of our list should be installing a high-quality home security system. A basic system should include:
- Surveillance cameras indoors and outdoors (that you can also access remotely)
- Security lighting – with motion sensors
- Responsive and intelligent security alarm keypad
- Wireless sensors
Then you can include the many add-ons that make the system uniquely fit your home.
A Skybell Video Doorbell
If you’re home for thanksgiving, you can quickly see who’s at the door and let them in without having to go and open the door. If you’re away, you can see who’s at the door and answer as if you’re at home. It’s a win-win either way.
Some other security tips if you’ll be away for Thanksgiving
- Install motion sensor lights or dusk to dawn lamps to make it seem that someone is at home. Plus, it will light the yard and help deter burglars.
- Check your local police station to see if they offer extra checks in your neighborhood if you’ll be away. Some stations provide this service.
- Check that all doors and windows are securely closed and bolted. It seems simple, but this is how a lot of burglars gain entry – unlocked doors and windows.
We wish you a happy and safe Thanksgiving. And if you truly want to make it so, give us a call to discuss securing your home this holiday season.