Winter Savings Tip: Save a Life with Carbon Monoxide Detectors
As the season gets colder, we try to increase our indoor warmth as much as possible. And with that comes the increased risks of carbon monoxide poisoning. But you and your family do not have to become a statistic. You can save a life with Carbon Monoxide Detectors.
What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is often called the silent killer. It is a colorless, odorless gas. This gas is emitted from a lot of the things we use in our homes daily – from our gas ranges, furnaces, stoves, generators. Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, headache, vomiting, nausea, chest pain, weakness, confusion.
There are too many stories of entire families losing their lives to CO poisoning. And there are also stories of families whose lives were saved because of a working carbon monoxide detector. Which one do you want to be?
Risks from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
When appliances or equipment are not installed correctly, this can cause gas leaks. There are also potential issues with breaks in your lines.
One of the main ways that persons are impacted by CO in the winter is through generators. If you lose power and are relying on a generator, you should not have it indoors. If you keep a generator on indoors, it will detrimentally increase the carbon monoxide levels.
Protecting Your Lives with Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This is one winter home safety tip that we hope you truly implement. It’s about saving your life and those of the ones you love. So, test, maintain, and replace your detectors as needed. Ensure that you have the adequate number of detectors throughout your home.
Make sure that you have carbon monoxide detectors installed throughout your home at appropriate levels and in all the necessary areas. A monitored alarm system can connect your CO detectors for added assurance that if something happens, your UL monitoring station can summon help quickly.
Ensure that you change the batteries in your detectors as soon as it indicates that the battery is low. And routine testing of the detectors should be done to ensure that they are working as they should.
Protect the ones that matters most. Invest in quality carbon monoxide detectors as the life you save could be your own.